Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Waiting For A Boat

It's been a long time since I posted anything. For this I apologize. As was pointed out by my sister, biking across Asia seemed to give me more motivation to keep on top of these blog entries. I guess the life of a backpacker has made me a little lazy. In truth, there isn't really a whole lot to report. I'm currently in Sengiggi, Lombok, waiting to take a boat to Flores via Komodo Island. I have really been looking forward to this. A stop on Komodo Island to see the legendary dragons may very well be the highlight of my trip, or at least one of. I've been looking forward to it since arriving in Indonesia. Hopefully it will live up to my expectations.
I arrived in Sengiggi a few gays ago. The boat only leaves on Tuesday and Thursday, which gave me some time to kill. I had planned on using this time to either go to the Gili Islands or hike up the nearby Mt. Ranjani, the latter of which would have been my preference. As it turned out neither were in the cards. I woke up a couple of days ago feeling a little ill. Just the early onset of the common cold, nothing major. However, as I have a three day boat trip filled with snorkeling and trekking ahead of me, I didn't want to do anything that could unnecessarily make my cold worse. I opted to spend the past couple of days here. It's not that bad of a situation, really. There's a nice beach, great food, and the people are quite pleasant.
The Indonesian people in general have been nice. Some of you have taken my recent complaints as an indication that my experience here is mirroring that which I had in Vietnam. Sorry, sometimes I like to use this blog as a source to vent. It isn't really that bad. The people here are nice (more so in Lombok than Java). It's just that they are constantly trying to sell you something and everything (and I mean everything) has to be haggled over. It's not like Vietnam though, where I found the locals to be most unpleasant.
Another couple of weeks until I'm back home. I've spent the past nine months living in a fantasy and am now starting to feel the pressures of reality creeping up on me. It's a scary thing, reality. The way I see it, if it's too much for me to handle, I can always take off again.

No comments:

Post a Comment