Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Still In Yogyakarta

I'm still in Yogyakarta. It seems like I've been here forever. It's not a bad place. I definitely prefer it to Jakarta, although the trickshaw drivers are starting to wear on me. Even though I have enjoyed Yogya a little more than my previous stops in Java, I've been here for almost five days and have now found myself struck with a bad case of the boredom blues. This is where you come in. The only thing I have left to do is sit around and play on the Internet. I did purchase a guitar, which has helped a little to pass the ever stretching hours. You should see the thing. It's about a foot and a half long and when I play it I feel like a giant. It does the trick. I'd post a picture for you, but unfortunately Indonesia's Internet connections are not the fastest in the world. Yesterday I uploaded five pictures... it took almost two hours.
I got a chance to visit the Buddhist Temple at Borobudor, Indonesia's answer to Ankor Wat. It seems every country has there own mini version of the collosal Cambodian temple. This one I found particularly nice. I am getting slightly sick of temples, but the inscriptions on this one were quite incredible. It really was a sight.
Tomorrow I'm headed via airplane to Lombok. It seems like this smaller, slightly more laid back island may be a little more my speed. There seems to be some great trekking opportunities, beaches, and volcanoes to visit. Not to mention the island of Komodo is easily accessible via Lombok. I fully intend to make the journey out there to see some dragons. (of course I do realize they are not actually dragons in the fire-breathing, flying, mythological sense). After Lombok I'm not sure what the plan is. Originally I wanted to visit both Bali and Flores, but realize now this was over-shooting a little. I don't know that I'll have time to do either, let alone both. If I could choose I would definitely opt for Flores, however Bali is much easier to get back to Jakarta from.
I fly back to Singapore from Jakarta on Aug. 4. After much procrastination, I have finally booked a flight home. August 6 is the magic date. I have mixed emotions about it. On one hand I would love to continue to travel. If I could I'd just keep going forever. Going on a big trip like this just makes you realize how big the world actually is, and how little of it we see in our lifetime. On the other hand, I am starting to get a little homesick. I miss my family and my friends (which I'm sure will change after about a week back home), I miss the comforts of home, mostly my own bed, and there is always the money factor. Being that I'm not independently wealthy, I have to go home eventually.
Well, thanks for helping me pass the time. I'll see you all in a few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment