Sunday, July 5, 2009

Leaving Singapore

Today I leave Singapore for Indonesia. This is the first time in eight months I am leaving a hostel without my bicycle, and it feels a little strange. While I'll miss my two wheeled companion I think, or at least hope, the life of a backpacker as opposed to a cyclist will present some new challenges and adventures. It will certainly be nice to not have to wake up at 5am every time I leave a place.
Singapore was fun. It's expensive and, considering the size of the city, there isn't that much to do here. However, due to the amount of travellers also in this city that they can't really afford to be in, it's pretty easy to meet people. The majority of thime here is spent in your hostel drinking the cheapest possible beer you can find and playing cards. SOmetimes those are the best times though. I really enjoy Singapore and, one day, when I have a little more money, fully intend to come back and see it properly.
I had thought my plane left at 11:00am but, after waking up and examining my ticket, realized it wasn't until 4pm that I was due to leave. I fly into Jakarta, where I intend to spend as little time as possible. After that I'm headed for my oma's home town. Discover the roots and all that. A little more sight seeing around Java and I'll be off to Bali.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    How is Omaland? I think that Fred was a motivating force in your communications as you are slacking. Call soon before I launch a search.

    ReplyDelete